Wednesday, August 11, 2010

NEWBREED II @ Last Rites Gallery - 511 W.33rd St. NYC

Down a darkened avenue where Chelsea meets Hell’s Kitchen, up three flights and deep within the ominous chambers of a badass needle and ink joint you will find it. Last Rites Gallery is a home for productive deviants and artists alike who prefer to explore the darker side of their imaginations by holding up a mirror to yours. Holy power to the low brow, to the wicked and pierced, to the scarred and inked from throat to ankle who wear their fears and tears on their sleeves. Holy power to the outcast and the non-believer. Glory to the punk and the rockabilly junkie, glory to the girl with a bone through her nose and flames in her eyes. You are the hurricane farmers. You make all the girls wet and all the boys excited by violence. Ok. I’m gushing. I did my time in this world and I’m not gonna lie, although I’ve passed into another state of consciousness, my memories of that life are the wonder stuffs that smiles are made of. I really dig these people.
As for the exhibition, there is no new stylistic departure to wonder and awe at but the magic of lowbrow is the infinite variations on accepted aesthetic themes. That being said, I really enjoyed the diversity within context. Mark Elliot’s small detailed portraits were masterfully rendered and a sweet start to the show as you made your way though the space. The other artists were just as interesting and im not going to play favorites on this one so here’s a list of all the players…
John Cebollero
Patrick Deignan
Leslie Ditto
Mark Elliot
Steve Ellis
Angie Mason
Celeste Rappone
Natalie Shau
Jasmine Worth.

Facing one's fears, negating puritanical taboos, and tapping into often repressed emotions can be truly empowering and this is where the artists in New Breed II find their strength. Highly recommended from yours truly and I would be disappointed in you on a deeply personal level if I ever found out that your didn’t take the time to go see this show or just introduce yourself to the space. For more information you can visit their website here:
and if your interested in getting marked up for good you ought to get ready to wait. The top artists at the shop have a three year waiting list to ink you. From what I understand about these things, its worth it.
Show Rating: A

Refreshments:  They were charging for booze but I’m going to give them a pass. Rather than even see what they were serving up I just avoided the area all together.
Booze Rating F- 

No comments:

Post a Comment